Step Three of the Snowflake – The Characters:
Virginia “Ginnie” Dare
- DoB – August 18th, 2257 (Age 15)
- Description – Black hair, dk. brown eyes, 1.75 m., slim build running to curves, dark skin
- History – Born in space to a spacing family.
- Marooned with an injured Jess, Ginnie needs to make sure they survive and discovers a plot to destroy a portion of the Rafe colony.
- The character’s motivation – To become a more vital part of the ship/be seen as more of an adult.
- The character’s goal – Survival of her team/the colony
- The character’s conflict – The terrorists
- The character’s epiphany – Becoming an adult can’t be rushed.
- During a less than routine repair, Ginnie and Jess get marooned on Rafe 3 a large rocky satellite. Jess is injured and Ginnie needs to set up camp. While placing an encrypted radio beacon, she sees some activity on what is supposed to be an otherwise barren moon. She catches some local radio traffic that indicates these people are here for nefarious purposes. At first she thinks that they are plotting an attack on the Commonweatlh presence. After checking with Jess and doing some further investigation they find out that it’s the colony they want to attack. They will be targeting the space port that Helena is supposed to land on. The two women must stop the attack until they can get into radio contact with someone.
- Description – Light brown hair cut short, hazel eyes, 1.5m wiry build, very pale skin, freckles
- Jess must help Ginnie as best she can, while injured, to help Ginnie survive and to warn the Helena and or the authorities.
- The character’s motivation – To help Ginnie grow.
- The character’s goal – Survival
- The character’s conflict – injury/terrorists
- The character’s epiphany – What mistakes you can let someone make.
- Jess calls on Ginnie to help her effect some repairs once they are past the blockade. It’s not part of her normal duties, but Ginnie’s expressed an interest in learning new things since she’ll be staying on board for a while. The pod they’re working on becomes damaged and ejects from the ship taking the two women with it. They’re close to the moon and use the tools they have to guide the pod and its contents safely to the surface. She’s injured in the process and must guide Ginnie through getting a shelter set up and a radio beacon. Then she must also help her deal with the terrorists.
Nuchtchas – President of Rafe
- Description – Long straight black hair with a green streak, blue eyes, 1.63 m curvaceous, milky skin
- Nuchtchas is leading her people in a secession and they’ve hired the Dares to help deliver some supplies.
- The character’s motivation – A successful and peaceful secession from the Commonwealth.
- The character’s goal – Getting the supplies necessary to make that happen.
- The character’s conflict – The Commonwealth and the Liberation Movement.
- The character’s epiphany – She will realize that the cost of freedom can often be too high.
- Called by her people to break from the commonwealth, Nuchtchas wants to do so as peacefully as possible. Long time friends with Walter Dare, she hires his company to deliver data, some raw materials, and necessary fuel to take them through what may be a long siege. If the first one goes well there may be more and if the secession is successful a lucrative contract is guaranteed. She’s caught between negotiating with the blockade and keeping her people happy. They’re in the third month and getting restless. She’s aware of the small minority involved in the Liberation from but is unaware of what they’re willing to do.
John Wilkerson – Leader of the Liberation Movement
- Description – Crewcut sandy hair, greenish brown eyes, 1.7, thin build
- He believes that Nuchtchas is a weak leader and that decisive action is necessary to throw off the shackles of the Commonwealth.
- The character’s motivation – Separation from the Commonwealth and its eventual downfall.
- The character’s goal – Freedom for Rafe and the presidency.
- The character’s conflict – Ginnie and Jess
- The character’s epiphany – Don’t mess with the Dares.
- John has long been dissatisfied with Commonwealth rule. He believes that Rafe’s abundant mineral resources belong to the people first and foremost. He also believes that the Commonwealth is holding all of the colonies back. He has a small loyal team behind him. If achieving his goals cost lives, even his own, he believes that it’s worth it (though he won’t risk his own unnecessarily). He is personally overseeing operations on the moon and will try and cause as little collateral damage as possible he knows the Dares are coming and will try and make it look like the Dares are in collusion with the Commonwealth and brought a bomb in to destroy the space dock. In one of the pods there is just such a bomb placed there by one of his allies outside the blockade.
Colonel Ed Delaney – In charge of Commonwealth blockade “Operation Hydra”
- Description – Bushy silver hair, light blue eyes, 2.1 m, stocky
- Delaney is near the end of his career and wants this last mission to be his final gold star.
- The character’s motivation – a glorious retirement
- The character’s goal – To bring Rafe back into the fold.
- The character’s conflict – Both the liberation front and the legitimate government are doing everything they can to stop him.
- The character’s epiphany – Doing the right thing is more important than glory
- Delaney is given this final assignment – do what it takes to bring Rafe back in to the Commonwealth. Equal parts military leader and diplomat, he’s a powerful personality. He arrived with the blockade three months ago and has regular contact with the presidency. He has agents on Rafe feeding him information and knows more about the LF than Nuchtchas does, though not about the attack. He and Nuchtchas have become fairly friendly thanks to regular calls, but he is as unrelenting as his superiors. They will not break the blockade under any circumstances.