Peter Smalley tagged me with this and I’m always one to rise to a challenge.
1. What is the title of your Work In Progress?
I’ll choose the one I’m writing for the Kickstarter I have going on, Lessons of the Gun.
2. Where did the idea for the WIP come from?
Bobby Joe believed in The Gun. He had met other Marshals, men and women who appeared pious, but who threw aside the Lessons of The Gun as it suited them. To them, wielding the gun was about power. To Bobby Joe, however, it was about salvation. Out here in the Wild, it had to be.
Bobby Joe said a prayer for every bullet as he loaded his weapon. He thought about about the two marauder gangs outside his door, ready for war. He though about the town they were about to tear apart as scratched at each other. And he thought about the Lessons of The Gun.
“This about salvation,” he said, walking into the streets. “This is about salvation…”
3. What genre would your WIP fall under?
Western, specifically a Bushido or Wasabi Western.
4. Which actors would you choose to play characters in a movie rendition?
I could totally see Liam Neeson playing Barnabas, but that may be because I just watched The Gray.
5. What is a one-sentence synopsis of your WIP?
Barnabas defeats local bandit leaders to save his student only to have to chase his student into the wilderness and hunt him down.
6. Is your WIP published or represented?
It will hopefully be published as part of an anthology.
7. How long did it take you to write?
It will have taken around 3-4 months to write.
8. What other WIP’s in your genre would you compare it to?
I hope I’m striking out on new ground, though this will be similar to a cross between Seven Samurai and Fist Full of Dollars.
9. Which authors inspired you to write this WIP?
I don’t read many westerns so it’s more of a cinematic thing.
10. Tell us anything else that might pique our interest about this WIP.
If you like Westerns, Samurai movies, or action movies with a hint of philosophy then this is your story!
11. Finally: Tag three other Authors and ask them to complete the above interview.
Photo by jrathage